Monday 23 June 2014

eat more raw in winter 101

This time next week I'll be on my way across the border (from Victoria to NSW!) for nearly two weeks at Hopewood Health Retreat. It's my present to myself for completing my Health Coaching course at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition. And I need some serious respite before diving headfirst into the second half of 2014. I'll still be writing while I'm away, so don't worry, you'll be hearing from me. If you don't, I've fallen into a black hole of health and wellness. Speaking of health and wellness, if you are looking for a Health Coach, here's how I can help you move towards better health…


I'll let you know when you can sign up for a free consultation with me!

In Australia the Winter Solstice (i.e. the shortest day) has just passed over the weekend, which means we are well into the cold months of winter. During wintertime we crave warming, comforting foods and it can be difficult to sustain the raw food portion of your meals, which ideally needs to be at 50% to prevent leukocytosis from occurring (you can read my blog post on raw food here).


In light of the cold winter days I'm going to share with you my tips and tricks to eating more raw food in winter so that you may delight in your glowing health and not be fearful of all those blowing noses… 
  • Eat raw meals at breakfast and lunch, and a cooked meal, such as vegetable soup, for dinner.
  • Drink more blended meals to meet your nutritional needs - think green juices, soups and smoothies!
  • Start your lunch and dinner with a salad before you eat the cooked portion of your meal.
  • Include raw cultured vegetables, such as kim chi or sauerkraut, in your meals (I recommend you check out the cookbook Healthy Every Day by Pete Evans for cultured food recipes).
  • Mix cooked food in with your raw food - toss a cooked grain-like seed such as buckwheat or quinoa through your raw colourful salad. 
  • Warm up raw food dishes and desserts in your dehydrator or in the oven / on the stove at a very low setting.
  • Warm up your crockery and cutlery before serving and eating your food - as good as warm towels out of the dryer!
  • Take your fresh fruit, veggies and chilled drinks (juices, smoothies, kombucha) out of the fridge, so that you may prepare and consume at the room temperature.
  • Add more warming foods into your daily diet, such as grounding root vegetables and an array of spices. 
  • Pour warm sauces or dressings over your raw food - a hearty tomato sauce over raw zucchini noodles for example.
  • Keep moving your body with regular exercise! As long as you enjoy it, you'll be sure to do it!
  • Relax at the end of the day with a cup of herbal tea and a long, hot bath to warm you up and send you off to sleep!


The best weekend at my church's Beautiful Woman conference!

Quote for the Road… 


No comments:

Post a Comment