Monday 16 June 2014

raw chocolate snowballs

During this year I've been transitioning to a low-sugar diet to help ease the symptoms of Candidiasis with the aim to be completely sugar-free for about three months. If I'm honest, the transition is difficult for a fruit-lover and plant-eater. That's me! But, I'm getting there. And in the process I'm recreating some of my favourites, including bliss balls, which are usually made with some sort of dried fruit as a base. Instead I'm using nut and seed butters as the base with a bit of chocolate crackle in there too!

My raw chocolate snowballs are super quick to make, are a tasty snack or dessert and are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth!


Also, just a little note about sugar… I believe that whole sugars as found in nature (like fruit) are an integral part of a balanced diet. I am being restrictive for a short period of time to address an underlying medical issue. My diet is full of whole foods, good fats, and heaps of plant fibre, protein and nutrients from vegetables, grain-like seeds and a small amount of fruit, mostly berries. This has changed and will change as I eat for the needs of my body. You should too. 

raw chocolate snowballs


1/4 cup unhulled tahini
1/4 cup nut butter
2 Tbs raw cacao powder (caffeine-free: raw carob powder)
1 tsp cacao nibs
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 tsp hemp seeds
1 tsp dried cranberries, roughly chopped - optional
dried desiccated coconut, to roll

Combine all ingredients thoroughly in a bowl. Roll mixture into balls and roll in desiccated coconut. Leave out the dried cranberries for a sugar-free option. Double or triple mixture as desired. Keep in the freezer until snowballs are set hard. Makes 4 to 6 snowballs. Serves 2.


Quote for the Road… 


No comments:

Post a Comment