Monday 28 July 2014

a single woman's take on healing with love and laughter

A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22 (ESV).

In my late teens I found myself in a dysfunctional relationship with a young man from a broken home. Beneath his ruggedly handsome exterior was a manipulative heart, a cruel mouth and an ugly personality. It ended after eighteen months but not before the damage he inflicted; he broke my heart and crushed my spirit. I've been on a journey of healing ever since.

Sounds like an all too familiar story, doesn't it?

Today, the only One who holds my heart is Jesus. Yes, the only One who my whole worth is wrapped up in is my God. I can trust Him completely; He will never let me down and He will always love me unconditionally - without exception.

My relationship with Him is the most meaningful and the most important relationship of my whole life. It is built every day on love, trust and faith. And prayer.

And laughter.


I remember a couple of years ago discovering an organic orchard with a small shop and cafe converted from an old barn on my way home from church. I was sooo very delighted by this discovery that I bought two bags of beautiful red apples that cost the same as the car wash I had put money aside for that week. As I got into my car to drive home I heard an amused voice speak to my heart, "I guess you won't be getting that car wash!" My God shared in my delight and together we laughed. We laughed over beautiful red apples.

I'm not an expert on relationships by any stretch of the imagination. But these days I choose to build healthy relationships. I choose to embrace people who make life brighter, better and more beautiful. And I choose to laugh with people. Laughter helps us to bond. Laughter can break down the things that separate people to bring them together in a more intimate way which overlooks offence, forgives shortcomings and believes for the best. Laughter can be a bridge to love. Laughter can be a healing mechanism for all those broken hearts and crushed spirits.


I also choose to let go of the toxic relationships. You know, the ones that bring you down, leave you drained, and where there is no give and take - just the taking (that is to say, the taking from you).

No, I'm not a relationship guru but I have learnt some things about living a life of wellness and how to partner with my God to facilitate healing in and through my life. And so, here's what I do know about healing your heart, your relationships and your life: 
Learn to laugh with those who will walk with you and let go of all the rest;
Choose wisely as you open your heart for you deserve the very best.
One last thought… Laughter is the bridge but love is the destination. And love, well, love never fails.

All my love, my friends.

Quote for the Road…



To all my single sistas in Christ who are waiting - I pray you choose to wait for him. And always wait on Him

No comments:

Post a Comment