Monday 8 September 2014

vegan zucchini fritters (gluten-free)

Hello my friends! I hope that wherever you are in the world you are enjoying good health or at least on your way to enjoying better health every day! Although my health has been inconsistent lately I can say I am enjoying the sunshine here in Melbourne, quality time with my friends and family, and having fun playing around with new recipes in my kitchen. Today, I'm posting my very first cooked recipe for you all. My vegan zucchini fritters are plant-based, gluten-free, full of goodness and super delicious!!

On a side note, here in Oz we are officially in Spring, the perfect time for a "spring cleanse" for your body after the heavy foods of Winter. If you need ideas for an easy peasy spring cleanse here is a guide I posted about a month ago. If you'd like to hear more about cleanses let me know and I'll work on a more thorough program for you all. 

Now, without further ado, I give you my scrumptious vegan zucchini fritters! 


Sour grass is a wild edible (tastes like lemon!) growing in Victoria, Australia

vegan zucchini fritters (gluten-free)


500g zucchini, shredded
1 tsp sea salt or himalayan salt
1/2 cup brown rice flour
2 flax "eggs" (combine 1 Tbs flax meal with 3 Tbs warm water for 1 flax "egg")
1 Tbs tamari
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp paprika
handful of pepitas (i.e. pumpkin seeds)
coconut oil, for cooking
hummus, for serving


Shred the zucchini into a medium bowl and stir the sea salt through before leaving for 20-30 minutes. Combine the flax meal and warm water in a small bowl to make the flax "eggs". 

Place the zucchini in a nut milk bag and squeeze the liquid out. In the medium bowl mix the zucchini with the brown rice flour, flax "eggs", tamari, garam masala, paprika and pepitas. Use your hands to combine the mixture well. Form the fritters by rolling and flattening balls of the mixture with the palm of your hands. 

Place the fritters into a pre-heated skillet and cook in coconut oil on medium-low heat for about 5-7 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Alternatively, you can bake the fritters in the oven at 200 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes. Makes 6 to 8 fritters. Serves 2.

Quote for the Road… 


No comments:

Post a Comment