Monday 25 August 2014

brooke's hummus & day on a plate

This weekend I decided to get back on to the hummus bandwagon as I needed a portable picnic lunch. Mine is oil-free and garlic-free but I've included these variations in the recipe today - absolutely delicious either way!


I thought I'd also share with you my day on a plate. Here in Melbourne, Australia we are coming out of the colder winter months. Spring is just around the corner and I am craving less cooked food and more raw food again. I am also eating a very-low-to-no-sugar diet to treat Candidiasis, which means very limited fruit options! Although my day on a plate at the moment is a window into a minimal fruit vegan diet (this is not an easy feat!), there are many substitutions that can be made so that I'm eating a delectable array of nutritious food - just like in this "switcheroo" chart from Ascension Kitchen!


brooke's day on a plate


Breakfast: green smoothie or quinoa porridge with berries 

Snack: activated almonds or walnuts with pink salt

Lunch: raw salad with quinoa or raw spaghetti marinara

Snack: green vegetable juice or raw caramel fudge 

Dinner: vegetable soup or sautéed veggies with buckwheat

Dessert: chia seed pudding with coconut yoghurt 

Drink: 2-3 litres filtered water, herbal tea and kombucha between meals


So that's my day on a plate! My menu changes as the seasons change and as I listen to the needs of my body, which is what I encourage you to do too. My day on a plate may look like I spend a lot of time in the kitchen but my meals are really quick and simple. But yes, I do allocate meal preparation time into my schedule. Organisation is a the key to healthy eating and living - along with the attribute of flexibility! After all, your good health provides a good foundation for living your best life… and enjoying the life you are living. 

brooke's hummus


400g can of chickpeas, drained & rinsed
1 cup filtered water
1/4 cup tahini 
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp sea salt or pink salt
juice of a lemon
3 Tbsp cold-pressed olive oil - optional
1 garlic clove - optional
paprika, for garnish

Combine all ingredients in a high powered blender or food processor until smooth and creamy. Note: only use 3/4 cup filtered water if you add the olive oil. Add more or less water and tahini for desired consistency. Serve with vegetable crudités. Bon appetit!


Quote for the Road…


No comments:

Post a Comment