Monday 24 November 2014

fresh bloody beet juice

If you've been reading my blog for awhile you'll know that I am recovering from a "non-curable" chronic illness, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and that recently I've found out my B12 and iron levels are very low. I say "non-curable" in a tongue-in-cheek way because the journey I've been on has been one of healing (physically, emotionally and spiritually), not one of finding a cure.

So, maybe I'm not curable… maybe I'm healable. Yep, that's it.

I'm healable. 


Just like many others around the world I use food as medicine, to help with the healing process. And since I've just acquired a slow juicer from Hurom (I've used my Vitamix to make juices up until now), I thought I'd start drinking some iron-rich bloody beet juice. Making this juice was messy (as you can see from my beet-stained hands in the photo above) but this cold-pressed juice tasted delicious and the Hurom juicer was easy to clean up after.

Happy juicing!


Sneak peak of a new Christmas recipe on my blog this December...

bloody beet juice


Beets are a plant-based source of iron which means this fresh juice is great if you suffer from anaemia and fatigue. Beets are also high in the antioxidant betacyanin. Antioxidants help to protect the body from cancer, heart disease and stroke by preventing free radical damage (cells damaged by oxidation).

2 medium beets
2 medium apples
1 lemon, with or without skin

Wash the produce and chop to the right size for your juicer. Feed through the juicer, or alternatively, use a high-powered blender to blend with half a cup of water before straining through a nut milk bag. Serve fresh in a glass with straw. Serves 1.


Quote for the Road… 


1 comment:

  1. Love your site! Our journeys sound very similar. I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease about 10 years ago, healed with food and lifestyle changes. Then diagnosed with IBS and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, later to receive several additional diagnoses including Lyme Disease. I am healing through food too. But my spirituality is my main healer and what guides me in life. I am from U.S. but have been thinking of visiting Australia.. I have been studying permaculture lately and many of the teachers I'm drawn to live there. :) My degree is in teaching too.. eventually hope to use it to teach what I've learned, help heal planet. :) Blessings on your journey, Brooke.

    ReplyDelete