Monday 6 October 2014

why diets just don't work

Using just one word I can summarise why all those "diets" you've tried over the years just don't work. And that word is deprivation. As soon as we label certain foods as off-limits with the end goal in mind being weight loss, we have already failed. Just try removing chocolate from your diet and I bet you end up thinking about, dreaming about and seriously craving chocolate.

All we need to succeed is a shift in our mindset. First up, let's make the end goal in mind this: better health. Next, let's change our vocabulary. Instead of saying, I can't eat that, reframe your words to, I can eat that but I choose not to. Then, we'll start to "crowd out" the less healthy choices with the more healthy choices. If we are filling up on plant-based whole foods (fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds) first we'll be so very nourished and satiated that we won't have much more room for the less nutritious foods. Let's focus on adding more nutritious food in and swapping less nutritious food out, never removing or depriving yourself of your body's need for macronutrients: carbohydrates, protein and fats.

And lastly, listen to your body. I don't include animal products (meat, dairy, eggs) in my food intake because these foods are very taxing on my digestion, make me feel ill and do not appeal to my palate! I am not depriving myself of food or nutrients and I am very careful to make sure my plant-based "diet" (my food lifestyle) is balanced. I've done the research but I've also listened to my body. I create meal plans for myself based around plants and follow guidelines to make sure I am nourishing my body. Just like the seed bearing fruit: one-day meal plan I've set out for you below, my meals are mostly raw, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, with tons of greens and whole healthy versions of treats and sweets!

You can find more recipes in the archives of this blog. Why not try to add some of these recipes to your daily meal plans, start to "crowd out", and listen to what your body says? Remember to be kind to yourself along the way and be persistent on your journey to better health. Your body will thank you for it.


I love all the allergy-friendly cafes around Melbourne!

seed bearing fruit: one-day meal plan


Drink: 1-2 cups warm filtered water with freshly squeezed lemon juice

Breakfast: jaffa buckwheat pudding 


Snack: fresh fruit or green vegetable juice


Lunch: green galor-a-saurus salad


Snack: brooke's bliss balls or vegetable cruditĂ©s with brooke's hummus


Dinner: zucchini fritters with grated root vegetable salad


Dessert: berry nice cream


Drink: 2-3 litres filtered water, herbal tea and kombucha between meals

Quote for the Road… 


No comments:

Post a Comment