Monday 22 July 2013

find your blue lagoon

A few months ago, I attended the David Wolfe conference here in wintry Melbourne. During one of the breaks I lined up with his book Eating For Beauty so that he could sign it for me. The inscription he wrote on the title page which says, Brooke! Find your Blue Lagoon!, has honestly stumped me! The closest thing to a blue lagoon that I know of is the movie from 1980 starring Brooke Shields and Christopher Atkins. No thank you do I want that kind of a blue lagoon experience!


A lagoon by definition is "a body of water cut off from the open sea by coral reefs or sand bars". There actually happens to be a true-blue blue lagoon in Iceland. It's a geothermal spa not unlike the Peninsula Hot Springs here in Victoria, which I happened to visit for the first time this past weekend with friends. It was a very relaxing, very enjoyable experience. But, I do not think that the inscription was referring to either the movie or to a body of water, geothermal or not.

Perhaps the inscription is referring to the unique path that my life is to take. My life is like a body of water, which is defined over time by the choices I make. And I am responsible for these choices. I am not cut off from the crowd as I make these choices but in making my own choices I stand apart from them. 

And so, the blue lagoon that I am to find looks different to yours. The process of discovery, however, may look quite similar. For me, this process has at times been long, difficult and frustrating. I am now learning to embrace the process. For I have found that the process is the training ground for my destiny, the life path that I am to walk. And there are things that I can do that make the process easier and more enjoyable. Here are some thoughts:

  • Follow your heart, pursue your passions.
  • Set short-term and long-term goals. Break these goals down into steps. Take one step at a time. Keep moving forward.
  • Write it down! How can you remember without a record? Journal regularly.
  • Connect with like-minded people who will inspire you, educate you and encourage you.
  • Let go of fear. Don't make choices out of fear. Always prepare, plan and hope for the best.
  • Do some dreaming. Trust that you were created for such a time as this.

Just some thoughts from my heart, some things that have helped me to stand apart and to find my voice. The above list is not exhaustive by any means so if you would like to please feel free to share via the comments section any tips for how to find your blue lagoon. I'll finish this post by sharing with you another piece of the puzzle that is my blue lagoon. I've recently begun an online course with the Institute for Integrative Nutrition to become a certified Health Coach by this time next year. My health and wellness journey has led me to write and to study as my passion in this area grows! I'm so excited and honoured to be able to do this and can't wait to share with you all the new things I'm learning. I've taken the step in faith and believe that it is another step down the road that is my unique life path - my blue lagoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment